Driving in Iceland can be tricky - but if you listen carefully to Elfis you should be fine.
Top ten tips on driving in Iceland
- Everyone in the car needs to wear seatbelt
- Do not stop or park the car on the road except in case of emergency.
- Lower your speed when you approach and drive on a gravel road.
- Choose the speed in accordance with the road surface.
- Check the weather and road surface in advance on www.road.is and www.safetravel.is.
- Make sure you get enough sleep in summer when there‘s daylight 24 hours.
- Be sure that you have the driving lights always on - night and day.
- The car that approaches a single lane bridge first, crosses first.
- Sheep and other livestock you see near the road can suddenly run across the road
- Don‘t risk your life and safety by driving into a CLOSED road.